The landscape of the city of Thérouanne still has traces of its former medieval fortifications from before the 1553 razing by Charles Quint. This archeological site consists of the remains of the ancient cathedral and the surrounding urban area.
- Open to visit Saturdays and Sundays from 9 AM to 6 PM
- Exposition “Archéologie d’une ville disparue” (Archeology of a Disappeared City) Saturdays and Sundays from 2 to 6 PM
This exposition retraces the history of the site, from before the Roman conquest at its beginnings on the banks of the Aa River to the development of the city due to its powerful bishop up until its destruction by Charles Quint’s troops in 1553. The exposition presents the archeological research of the Projet Commun de Recherche (Common Project of Research) led by a multidisciplinary team.
- A presentation of current archeological news of Thérouanne is offered by M. Chevalier, mayor of Thérouanne, Saturdays and Sundays at 2:30, 4, 5 PM, lasting a half hour
- Family workshop “Les archéologues en herbe” (Archeologists in the Making) Sundays from 2:30 to 4:30 PM, lasting about an hour and a half
Come with your family to learn archeological techniques and to understand the archeological process from discovery to presentation in a museum.
Reservations for the family workshop are made at the Office of Tourism of Saint Omer