The chateau of Fressin was an authentic fortress adapted for artillery.
The chateau of Fressin was built around 1450 by Jean de Créquy, a knight of the order of la Toison d’Or and a counselour to the duke of Burgandy Phillippe le Bon.
This fortress was an essential part of the defense of the region throughout the course of many wars. It helped control and block off the valley of la Planquette, which was often used by troops to travel between Thérouanne and Hesdin. In 1522, the castle was almost entirely destroyed by the English.
In 1993, archeological excavations began and revealed underground tunnels, rooms, and wells, all of which are now open to the public.
An elegant medieval garden with two conservatories of uniquely European plants brightens up the site. Here the virtues of numerous medieval plants are awaiting to be discovered.
A reproduction of a catapult and an interactive exposition on the evolution of the architecture of fortified castles between the 9th and 17th centuries teach visitors the styles of defense in the Middle Ages.